No Throwing Fish.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Hazelton, BC to Whitehorse, YT

I noticed my car bra had some bulges in it, so I figured it was a good time to clean out all the bugs which had accumulated under there. Gotta catch 'em all.

It's true it stays bright around the clock in the summer this far north. Bright enough to read by, but just barely. Sadly, this means I won't see the northern lights.

The Stewart-Cassiar highway, despite having a reputation for being unpaved, was a piece of cake to drive on. The gravel sections are short, rare, and you can still go 30 to 40 mph on them. Stewart and Hyder are not places to miss. It was a remarkable experience to stop at Bear Glacier, drive past Bear Creek, and see this bear.

Speaking of Hyder, that is quite the interesting little town of about 100 people. It's part of Alaska, but you can't get anywhere from there. There is no customs office entering Hyder, but there is one going back to BC. It's odd because, you really can't get anywhere except by boat. It has no pavement, but surprisingly, does have a post office.

I've now driven a fair stretch of the Al-Can highway, from Watson Lake to Whitehorse. My route, BC 99 to 97 to Yellowhead to Stewart Cassiar, I can now say with a small bit of certainty is much more interesting, and much less crowded. To give you an idea of the "popularity" of the SC, I pulled over at about 11pm the other night and curled up to sleep (yes, right there on the side of the highway) - probably one car went by between then and 7am. I did see one bear lumbering across the road, though.

It's Canada Day, and I'm in Whitehorse, YT. I came across a crazy Korean busker who spent about 15 minutes telling me his two minute long life story seven and a half times, before aborting his eighth telling to break out into song. He talked about positivity, Jesus, today's youth, and he has three teeth.

Photos:

Hazelton to Whitehorse via Stewart and Hyder

More videos:

100,000 mile day

Watson Lake's Signpost Forest

Flat tire/Alaska Highway

1 Comments:

  • Looks like you're getting close to Alaska. Keep up the posting.

    P.S. If you want your stuff back, bring 10k dollars in unmarked Canadian monopoly money when you return.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At July 6, 2008 at 10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home