No Throwing Fish.

Friday, September 5, 2008

mayonnaise sandwich

I'm back on the road. I became a bit nervous when confronted with the idea of once again being without a home, but quickly warmed up to the idea of continued adventure while looking out at Crater Lake from the summit of Mount Scott.

I needed to break a $20 inside a shopping mall in Oregon. Carl's Jr. has a 99 cent chicken sandwich. Knowing an opportunity when I see one, I ordered said sandwich, forgetting to specify "without mayonnaise." The cooks took this omission as a reason to apply a week's supply of mayo onto what was once known as my "sandwich," but could now only be referred to as my "foil wrapped mayo."

Outside a friend's house in Eugene, I was rummaging through my car, until I was interrupted by someone shouting "HAAAEEEEEHHHGH." I turned around to find a homeless woman standing about 25 feet from me, near a futon mattress which had been discarded in a carport. I responded "uhhhh... what?" and the following conversation ensued:

woman: YOU GOTTA HELP MAH BACK
me: "what?"
woman: I LIVE OUTDOORS. IT FOLDS RIGHT UP
me: "uh, what?"
woman: GOTTA TAKE THIS MATTRESS TO CARL'S JR
me: "okay?"
woman: IT FOLDS RIGHT UP! MY BACK!
me: "I have to go somewhere."

I parked my car on the next block.

While driving from Crater Lake towards the Redwood Forest (I think this is only about a 4 or 5 hour drive, I did not expect that) I encountered a sign advertising "Sweet Cron." I was stunned. About a quarter mile later I found another sign advertising the very same "sweet cron." Those clever Southern Oregonians succeeded in grabbing my attention with their intentional misspelling. Cron.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home