No Throwing Fish.

Sunday, August 3, 2008

why places like grande prairie and prince george suck

These are places with populations of 50,000 or more, and yet nobody wants to live there; they are only there because their job is nearby.

This results in the only businesses being bars, Wal-Mart, and Tim Horton's. These kinds of places seem to spring up "naturally" when nobody cares enough to open their own restaurant or coffee house.

The response to "I'm from Seattle" in either of these towns was a consistent "what the hell are you doing here?"

Even Fort St. John, BC, with less than half the population of these places, was more friendly, had more to do, and was better cared for. This is probably because it's on the Al-Can, whereas neither GP or PG are. It goes to show that a little tourism goes a long way.

More recently, I was in Grande Cache, AB, for the Canadian Death Race. I'm inside a chinese restaurant / coffee house, and one of the more common orders being delivered to patrons is "fries 'n' gravy." I guess that satisfies both of the Alberta food groups.

I was in this same restaurant last night, and after finishing a plate of chinese food, a chinese woman takes my plate and says "you're done with this, eh?" It was a cultural experience. I am starting to get the feeling that I sound rude if I don't end my sentences with "eh."

Death Race was pretty neat, a 125km marathon through mountains. I didn't participate, despite everyone in town thinking that's what I was there for. ("You look like you're runnin', eh?") The events surrounding it couldn't keep my interest for the entire three days of the festival though, I ended up leaving on Saturday afternoon.

I'm in Jasper now - it's refreshing to be in another outdoorsy place after a relatively dismal week in the boring cities on the eastern end of the Al-Can, which I have some photos of here

Grande Cache/Jasper photos

1 Comments:

  • If you re-read "Into the Wild" Supertramp could have told you to stay out of the big cities.

    Glad you are having fun. Keep awake and out of the way of the Bison. I had an emergency stop years ago on my Harley in SD when I turned a corner to see a 500lb+ Bison in the middle of the rode. The Pucker factor went through the roof.

    Brett

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 6, 2008 at 1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home